Is The World Ending?

Unfortunately I have stopped reading newspapers as often as I should. When faced with the decision to check my Facebook before bed or read a headline, I always tend to choose the Book. Last night I opened the New York Times on my computer just to make sure I wasn't living under a rock this week and the headlines scared me out of my mind.

"Dow Drops 800 Points"

"Riots Break Out in London for 3rd Night in a Row"

"Wave of Worry Threatens to Build on Itself"

"Tumult in Global Markets"

These are not headlines I was expecting to see. They are headlines of a world that is about to end. Half look like they are from the Great Depression, and I thought we had already accepted that the economy sucked. Half are telling me that civilized cities are being burnt to the ground. Maybe I've been reading too much dystopian literature lately, but all these things point to the end in my head.

While it is important to know what is happening in the world around you, I have realized why I decided on Facebook and The Frisky instead. I have enough stress in my life, I want to read about pointless happy things when I get home. Which also reminds me of the Gilmore Girls episode where Lorelei expresses her desire for a newspaper that reports happy things like puppies being born and new ice cream flavors being discovered. She was on to something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment