People These Days

It's been a very trying couple of days, several have which have had police involvement.

This morning I went out to my car to go to a friend's going away brunch. I got in the drivers side, started the car, and noticed that my passengers side window was down. It's been raining for 2 days and I rarely put that window down anyway so I was confused to say the least. Then I looked around the rest of my car. The glove box was open, the compartment in the middle of my seats was open and my work laptop was gone. My car had been broken into.

It is strange really. My car is not one I would ever think to break in to. No matter how much I love it, it's a piece of crap. And there is never anything worth stealing in it, nothing that I own anyway. Yet this is the 2nd time in 6 months someone has tried.

I used to never lock my car. I still rarely lock it, but know better in certain places. Columbia Heights, DC being one of them. That is where I was last night when it was broken into. The perpetrator forced my passenger side window down and went through everything. Last time nothing was taken, this time I am grateful that what was taken wasn't technically mine.

On my drive to the brunch all I could think was "how is this person even going to benefit from stealing the laptop?" It is password protected with all the best security on it because of the nature of my job. The only way anyone could make money off of this crime would be to sell its parts. That seems like a lot of work to me.

I hope that this next week is less eventful. Or at the very least eventful in a different way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment