All Work and No Play


I am having a hard time keeping work and the rest of my life separate. My company just instituted an "On Call" schedule that rotates so that someone is always available to assist our clients. While I am not personally on this schedule, because I don't actually know anything about technology, I still have to assist my co-workers during these times.

I also recently have the need to check my work email at home. Not on my BlackBerry, actually logging in and checking it. I feel like if I don't I will get behind in everything that needs to happen. I actually get anxious about what assignments might have built up for me while I haven't been checking my email.
I do not know if this is just because of the line of work I'm in or if this is typical to most fields. Technology seems to be a 24/7 job. Part of me cannot understand why people need their BlackBerries fixed at 1am, but we get requests all night. But when I get to work in the morning, there are so many requests waiting for me it is overwhelming.

And now I feel the need to always be in the loop about what is going on at work. I used to be done as soon as I left the office. I wouldn't answer my work phone, I wouldn't check email. Everything was separated by whether or not I was in the office. Now I am worried I'm being coming the female Ari Gold who works all the time. How do you all balance work and the rest of your life? I'm killing myself the way I'm doing it now.

1 comment:

  1. There is no worklife balance if your in DC / NYC. Thats why you have to move somewhere more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete