Beginning today, January 17, 2011, the IRS will be accepting tax returns. I have never done my own taxes, and I'm not going to pretend I have. My mother has been gracious enough to use the skills she learned at H & R Block to do my taxes every year. While doing this, though, she has made sure to teach me some things. And as post grads, our taxes just got a lot more complicated.

Forms you will need to get:
  • W2 for every job you held in 2010.
  • 1099 in case you were contracted
  • 1098 T from your school to prove how much tuition you paid
  • 1098 E from EACH of your lenders to prove how much interest you paid on your loans.
These forms are needed no matter what kind of return you file. There is also the American Opportunity Credit that all of you should look into. People who were in college in 2010 (that's us by the way) can qualify for up to $2500 more on your return. I highly recommend checking that out to see if you qualify. More information can be found here.

Good luck Post Grads! I hope you all get a great tax return this year.


Post a Comment