Reflection

Wow, a reflection blog post at the end of the year, my originality amazes me every day.

Truthfully, since getting off the train after Christmas, literally since stepping onto solid ground, my life has not stopped moving, aside from sleeping. Work was waiting for me at the office and I needed groceries and to unpack and make use of my gym membership, etc. So I'm allowing my brain to rest a little bit until 2011 and I'm instead thinking back to what I learned this year, my first year (well, half year) as a post grad.

I've learned so much. I know now that the workforce doesn't care so much if you're a bright eyed young adult with a fancy degree. In fact, many employers see your optimism as a deal breaker- it's sad but true. Thankfully, I've also learned that while the majority may be like this, not all workplaces are. Some places are willing to take a chance on you, but it's up to you to do everything in your power to prove you deserve it.

I've learned that paying bills takes a lot of planning. I've learned that dealing with health insurance is one of the most confusing and annoying hurdles EVER, but that I'm thankful I have it. I've learned that it's possible to move to a city you know virtually nothing about, and make a life there for yourself. I've learned how to sublet an apartment, how to find an apartment, how to keep up an apartment.

Most of all, in 2010 I learned that I could do all of these things on my own. I'm a long way from being completely independent, but I am on the right track. See you in the new year post grads. What are a few things you've learned this year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment