No Dresscode? No Problem!

One of the unique things about my current position is that there is absolutely no dress code. People here dress in a range of collared shirts, jeans, dress pants, sweatpants, sweatshirts, tee-shirts, pretty much anything goes as long as it's not revealing.


For me, this posed a sort of problem when I began working in July. I had quite the stock of dress skirts, shirts, and heels from previous internships, but I didn't have appropriate "office casual" wear. I knew I would get nothing done in the office if I showed up in sweatpants. In college, I was the type that would put effort into outfits for my daily classes, while the bulk of the student population wandered around in hoodies and sweatpants. I remember visiting Shikole in D.C. once at her college and putting on a skirt and top. Her reply was "Oh... you're wearing REAL clothes??" I might be the only one out there, but I just can't concentrate if I'm too comfortable!

Now, us post grads unfortunately have to graduate to wearing "real clothes" everyday. Here are some staples I've found for working in a casual environment, that still help me to focus.

1. Dark wash slim jeans- I'm not talking about the skinny jeans that suck the life out of your legs. I just mean that a slimmer line and dark wash makes you feel like your wearing actual, non lounging clothing, and still looks put together.

2. Sweaters- my office is cold all the time and there are just so many sweater possibilities. I have a few favorite crew necks, and button ups that I layer with other pieces.

3. A nice pair of dress pants- In high school I was part of Model OAS, sort of like international debate team, and every year we traveled to Washington for a conference. I remember splurging on a pair of classic black pants from h&m, (40.00 was a splurge at the time- okay?), and I still wear them to this day.

4. Boots& flats- Boots are less dressy than heels but a step up from sneakers. They are perfect for colder weather and have a classy casual vibe. Flats are amazing as well, as long as there is no snow on the ground! Flats + snow = cold, wet feet all day.

Due to the fact that I've been sick for the past few days, there are no helpful outfit pictures to accompany this post, but we're working hard to incorporate more photos into this blog! Stay tuned to "office casual" wear, and a few other photo diaries to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment