Goodbye Sunshine

By Allison Sass

For weeks I have been so eager for Daylight Savings time to end so that it would be light out again in the morning as I got ready for work. Fumbling around in my closet in the pitch black and leaving the house as the sun rose was not my idea of a good start to the day.

Now, it's happened. We got that long-awaited extra hour of sleep and all is right with the world. Oh, except for the fact that in my new post grad life, I will not be enjoying weekday sunlight for quite some time, aside from the light streaming into my office.

For those post grads who have 9-5 jobs like me, it's going to be slim pickings in the daylight department for quite some time. To deal with this, I'm going to try to take walks during my lunch break, and make sure that I head to the gym right after work to avoid my instinct to flop on my bed after a long day.

Some blog posts I've been reading have suggested wearing bright colors on these short days to make things more cheery. I'll give it a shot, though I'm wearing a flowered shirt right now and feel pretty much the same.

Another thing I might try is to set a specific goal for myself to finish by the conclusion of the winter months- by March or so. I'm thinking about training for a half marathon, maybe that will be my goal? We'll see...

What about your post grads? How do you plan on making it through the lack of natural sunlight blues?

0 comments:

Post a Comment