Be Happy

By Allison Sass

"Dont worry, be happy". It's a line in one of everyone's favorite reggae jams, but how often to we actually take the song's advice? I know that during my life I have sacrificed doing what I believe will make me truly happy because a.) it was difficult, b.) other people in my life convinced me that I should take a different path, or c.) I was terrified of letting down friends and family.  I've never had horrible outcomes by taking these paths. In fact, my need to please others has actually led me to enjoy some great life experiences. But, I still can't help but wonder, what if?

Your post grad life is the perfect time to move away from the "what if" cycle. You are on your way to financial independence, don't have four-year college dictating your life, most likely don't have children or a husband to dictate your life choices, and may even be in a completely new location where the only person creating your schedule is you.

For now, my happiness is in the works. I'm taking steps to improve my post grad life that I will share in a future entries, but for now (in keeping with our musical themed week) I'd like to leave you with a song that was always quoted by one of my Geneseo Communication professors.

He used to tell us that it wasn't our class grades or his approval, but the effort we put into our work and life that will ultimately make us feel happiest. He would always say "don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy". Here you go, post grads!





0 comments:

Post a Comment