An Apple a Day

By Shikole Struber

Health insurance is kind of important. Now that we have graduated we don't have the option of health insurance through school. The bill passed by congress allows us to stay on out parents health plan for a while longer, but what if our parents don't have health insurance either? Then what?


I have personally been without health insurance for about 2 years. I couldn't afford it, even through my school. My mom hasn't had it in forever either. When searching for a job health insurance was one of the top requirements I looked for. Luckily my immune system is amazing and I rarely get sick, and the only medication I take regularly is my birth control. Not having health insurance hasn't killed me. But I'm the exception, not the rule.

Any person with asthma, or diabetes, who wears contacts, has anxiety or depression, needs a lot more medical attention than I do. So what are the options?

  • Short term medical insurance. ehealthinsurance.com lets you compare short-term plans from Aetna, United Health Plus, Celtic, and more. They cost anywhere from $45/month to a couple hundred depending on the coverage you are looking for.

  • Stay on your parents plan.

  • Find a job that offers health insurance.

  • Go without, except the basics. CVS has a minute clinic for problems such as strep throat, or pink eye. Any minor problem will be covered. It costs about $60 a visit but no insurance is needed and they will give you prescriptions.


What we learned most in college was survival. Now it's time to put that to use.

0 comments:

Post a Comment